Nmap Development mailing list archives

probes vs payloads?

From: "Mike ." <dmciscobgp () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 14:48:46 +0000

hello all

please stop my confusion on this subject. i see a list of payloads nmap uses for valid responses. after using the DHCP
discover script, i am keen to ask, why is this not included as a payload for udp/dhcp? the packet is a proper packet
which, one would assume, would garnish some type of response from a dhcp server out there. so can someone tell me when
do we decide scripts can become payloads for service probes? (esp if they just dump simple info (upnp/ntp/rip/etc) and
not interact or try anything malicious) thank you

Mike