Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nping, arp ping behavior simulation

From: Luis MartinGarcia <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 18:47:46 +0200

Hi Vlad

Please try setting up the source and destination MAC addresses manually.
Let me know if that works.

Best regards

Luis

-- Sent from a mobile phone. Please excuse typos and brevity.
On 2 Oct 2015 9:54 am, <Vlad.Mihailov () emerson com> wrote:

Hi folks!

I was using nping to perform level 2 probes using arp packets (‘nping
--arp <198.18.1.200> -e eth1’)  while my eth1 interface has a different IP
subnet of 172.17.1.0/24. The expected behavior was to have a stream of
arp-who-has/arp-is-at packets regardless of the mismatching subnets (since
arp will operate at the level 2 it should not matter that the requests are
coming from a wrong subnet IP).

But instead nping comes back with an error:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap>nping --arp 198.18.1.200 -e eth1

Starting Nping 0.6.49BETA2 ( http://nmap.org/nping ) at 2015-10-01 11:41
Mountain Daylight Time

Failed to determine route to host 198.18.1.200. Skipping it...

Execution aborted. Nping needs at least one valid target to operate.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Nmap>

I am not sure if this is something that is easy to implement but it will
be sure a nice to have feature. It will allow configuring the probing
computer with a bogus IP network to perform L2 scans of a new network
without setting up an IP address that matches the subnet and risking
IP-address conflicts.

Thank you.

*--*

*Vlad Mihailov*