Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Vulscan - NSE script for vulnerability detection based on version detection

From: Patricio Castagnaro <pcastagnaro () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 22:18:40 -0300

Dear,

Vulscan is a great job. Will be a great change if script can handle
duplicated vulnerabilities. e. g.: If there is the same vulnerability
in securityfocus
and securityfoocus, it would be good if the script shows only one alert and
no both.

Thank you very much for give to us the chance of bring to you our ideas.

Regards!

*Lic. Patricio Castagnaro*
*MSN/Gtalk/Mail* *pcastagnaro () gmail com <pcastagnaro () gmail com>*
*Twitter* @*pcastagnaro* <https://twitter.com/pcastagnaro>
*Skype:*
* pcastagnaro**LinkedIn* *http://ar.linkedin.com/in/pcastagnaro
<http://ar.linkedin.com/in/pcastagnaro>*
*Google+* *https://plus.google.com/+PatricioCastagnaro
<https://plus.google.com/+PatricioCastagnaro>*

Think before you print

Hi list,

Jiayi is working on improving/updating Marc Ruef’s vulscan script (
http://www.computec.ch/projekte/vulscan/?) to finally get it ready for
inclusion. For those unfamiliar with the script, it takes the results of
version detection and matches possible vulnerabilities existing in several
databases (cve, exploitdb, openvas, osvdb, securityfocus, securitytracker,
xforce, scipvuldb) that will be distributed separately. The script aims to
turn nmap into a vulnerability scanner that takes advantage of our powerful
version detection engine.

Some time ago Marc even posted a second enhanced version of the script (
http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2013/Aug/166) but unfortunately it
seems it slipped by our attention. This week I asked Marc if he got any
feedback and he mentioned something about Fyodor recommending him to
include an ‘update databases’ function in the script but I wanted to see if
others had also different comments/issues. The script seems to work as
expected as it is. However, we have a couple of different ideas for
improvements like:
* The script can suggest the users to run other NSE scripts if the CVE id
matches (and we have a script for it)
* Reducing the number of false positives by not printing information if
version detection was not accurate enough.

Does anyone remember if there was another reason why it didn’t get
included? Can you think of other improvements that can done?  We would love
to hear your ideas!

Cheers.