Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: PATCH nmap python components need python2 not 3

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 09:13:23 -0700

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 01:00:11PM +0200, Gioacchino Mazzurco wrote:
On Thursday, May 14, 2015 08:47:29 AM David Fifield wrote:
It looks good. Does it work if you define
_AM_PYTHON_INTERPRETER_LIST only once?

It should work I set in both place as a guidance for python components, so
each component should specify a set of supported interpreters, so if we have
some new component written in python3 ti will be the most natural choice to
set _AM_PYTHON_INTERPRETER_LIST according for that component

I was thinking so too. But will that actually work? I think PYTHON is
only defined globally. So if you have one component that requires Python 2,
and another that requires Python 3, then the second component will cause
PYTHON to be set to "python3", which will break the first component. The
slight risk of defining it in two places is that someone will later edit
one of them without editing the other.