Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Implemented non-repeating "extra_payload"

From: Andrew Jason Farabee <afarabee () uci edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 13:48:03 -0800

This is embarrassing, I guess I should have considered that IDS's that go
as far as looking at the payload would be able to tell a scan was occurring
just based on one IP sending packets to every port.

Also, a forensic team could probably determine when a user started a new
scan based on timing and scan patterns even if "--data-length" isn't used.

The same goes for determining what nmap scripts are looking for.  In order
to be affected, a script would have to call nmap with new options as a
response to another nmap instance's output.  And even in that case I think
the timing and scan patterns would be enough to determine the same amount
about the script, even if "--data-length" wasn't used.

And with decoy scans, anyone who is looking at the packets can tell that a
decoy scans are taking place based on timing, so it doesn't really matter
whether the packets share a payload or have different

Sorry for wasting your time, I appreciate how polite you've been.

TL;DR
The patch is pretty pointless because timing and scan patterns reveal just
as much as payload contents.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 7:42 AM, Royce Williams <royce () techsolvency com>