Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Implemented non-repeating "extra_payload"

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 21:01:11 -0800

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Andrew Jason Farabee <afarabee () uci edu>
wrote:

I'm sure you all are busy but I was wondering if anyone could take a look
at my changes to the nmap git at https://github.com/andrewfarabee/nmap
and let me know what you think.  The changes are very minimal and it still
runs effieciently. I'm also attaching a paper on the logic behind the
changes.  Thanks a lot for your time, I would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks for the interesting writeup and patch!  It's not really clear which
is "better" in general--the current fixed string behavior or choosing new
random packet data for each packet.  There are (tiny) advantages and
disadvantages to each.  But it is good that your patch is available in case
anyone ever encounters a need for that behavior.

Cheers,
Fyodor