Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: more confusion...

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 14:22:18 +0100

W dniu 23.11.2014 o 14:17, Mike . pisze:
so i posted earlier some items when scanning my local router. to me, this is another anamoly. here is the output
nmap -vv -n -P0 -sn  192.168.0.156  -packet-trace
Starting Nmap 6.45 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-11-23 07:08 Central Standard Time
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.156Host is up.Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.04 seconds
now what i see there is NO PING. but should it not try an ARP request at least? i say this because that IP i am
giving it i did on purpose IT DOES NOT EXIST! nmap is saying "host is up" and that is impossible in this case. so
this is more nitpicking, but since nmap is known for painstaking error checking and reliability, should we not change
this error or at least force an ARP REQUEST to PROVE host is up (even if no ping is given)? maybe it's just hard for
me to differentiate ICMPand ARP pings. does P0 mean "no ARP ping?). i equate P with ICMP, sorry

Hello again,

You are asking another question that is clearly answered in the
documentation. Please read up on what -P0 means and phrase your mailing
list threads more descriptively next time. Also, I would suggest to
re-read the documentation - not only will you learn about a lot of
powerful Nmap features that you never knew before, but also you won't
need to wait for an nmap-dev response for every single Nmap question you
come up with.

Jacek