Nmap Development mailing list archives

more confusion...

From: "Mike ." <dmciscobgp () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 13:17:08 +0000

so i posted earlier some items when scanning my local router. to me, this is another anamoly. here is the output
nmap -vv -n -P0 -sn  192.168.0.156  -packet-trace
Starting Nmap 6.45 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-11-23 07:08 Central Standard Time
Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.156Host is up.Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.04 seconds
now what i see there is NO PING. but should it not try an ARP request at least? i say this because that IP i am giving
it i did on purpose IT DOES NOT EXIST! nmap is saying "host is up" and that is impossible in this case. so this is more
nitpicking, but since nmap is known for painstaking error checking and reliability, should we not change this error or
at least force an ARP REQUEST to PROVE host is up (even if no ping is given)? maybe it's just hard for me to
differentiate ICMPand ARP pings. does P0 mean "no ARP ping?). i equate P with ICMP, sorry