Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Pcre Binding

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 13:52:22 -0700

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:56 AM, devin bjelland <devinbjelland () gmail com>
wrote:

Hi list,

One recent project Patrick and I completed was the integration of the Lpeg
library into the NSE. Lpeg parses pattern expressions grammars (of which
regular expressions are a subset). Using the Lpeg library, we simplified
various parts of the NSE (for example json.lua) and converted several
scripts to use Lpeg's regular expressions instead of Pcre.

Since no scripts are still using the Pcre binding, and Lpeg does everything
it does, I propose removing the NSE binding for Pcre. I'm interested to
know what people think of this (i.e. do you have some secret super awesome
thing that you use the Pcre binding for).

Even as a Perl junkie who was responsible for pushing for the bindings when
they were originally added, I support this.  Almost everyone uses Lua
patterns instead, and now they will have the Lpeg option too.  So unless
anyone chimes up with concrete plans to actually use the NSE LibPCRE
bindings in the near future, I'd say remove them.  Of course it won't save
much code since we still have to keep the actual library for version
detection, but still worth it IMHO if nobody has any plans to use it.  Be
sure to remove the few references to pcre from docs/scripting.xml too.

Cheers,
Fyodor