Nmap Development mailing list archives

Pcre Binding

From: devin bjelland <devinbjelland () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 13:56:15 -0500

Hi list,

One recent project Patrick and I completed was the integration of the Lpeg
library into the NSE. Lpeg parses pattern expressions grammars (of which
regular expressions are a subset). Using the Lpeg library, we simplified
various parts of the NSE (for example json.lua) and converted several
scripts to use Lpeg's regular expressions instead of Pcre.

Since no scripts are still using the Pcre binding, and Lpeg does everything
it does, I propose removing the NSE binding for Pcre. I'm interested to
know what people think of this (i.e. do you have some secret super awesome
thing that you use the Pcre binding for).

Cheers,
Devin