Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap 6.47 compile failure on AIX 7100-03

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 21:31:15 -0500

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Kevin Brott <kevin.brott () gmail com> wrote:

Dan,

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
wrote:

Kevin,

This LARGE_FILES support is turning out to be a pain. As far as I know,
we don't need this for anything specific, since we've stripped a lot of the
LFS library out of nse_fs.cc. Try the attached patch which removes it
entirely and see if it works.

Dan

Applied the patch against r33665 - and ./configure + gmake is fine ...
gmake check died here again ...
PASS 'ncat\'
PASS 'ncat\ \'
calloc: Error 0
gmake[1]: *** [check] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/lppdir/build/nmap-svn-r33665/ncat'
gmake: *** [ncat_check] Error 2

Ok, I'll look at this one next.

Something not right here ...

root# nmap -A -d scanme.nmap.org

Completed Traceroute at 15:04, 0.06s elapsed
Initiating Parallel DNS resolution of 12 hosts. at 15:04
mass_rdns: 0.00s 0/11 [#: 3, OK: 0, NX: 0, DR: 0, SF: 0, TR: 11]
Completed Parallel DNS resolution of 12 hosts. at 15:04, 0.98s elapsed
DNS resolution of 11 IPs took 0.98s. Mode: Async [#: 3, OK: 6, NX: 4, DR:
1, SF: 6, TR: 16, CN: 0]

And it just hangs hard here - even when I scan an internal host.

This is what I'm currently working on, and I am somewhat glad to see that
it's reproducible outside this system. It only affects traceroute, which is
turned on by -A.

Do you mind letting me know what compiler version and libstdc++ version you
have? The hang is in std::list::size(), which tries to get the size of
timedout_hops by iterating from .begin() to .end(), checking at each node
that the current iterator is not equal to .end(). Apparently it just walks
down "memory lane" into the blue and never quits. I'm pretty sure that
timedout_hops is empty at this point, so I'm going to try tracerouting a
system that has some nonresponsive hops next. A test program I put together
does not exhibit the same hang, though, so I'm currently stumped. Checking
for memory access problems after that.

Dan