Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap 6.47 compile failure on AIX 7100-03

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:05:28 -0500

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
wrote:

Kevin,

I had already committed almost that exact fix in r33660. Now r33661 solves
an interaction I had with the older version of GCC that is available on the
AIX system I'm testing on. At this point, Nmap compiles but fails to scan:

./nmap --iflist

Starting Nmap 6.47SVN ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-09-09 00:00 CDT
INTERFACES: NONE FOUND(!)
ROUTES: NONE FOUND(!)

I will continue to work on this as time permits.

Dan

Kevin,

As of r33665, Nmap compiles and runs on AIX with a few bugs:

* Features involving libpcap do not seem to work outside localhost, but
that may be an artifact of my environment. If you can, please try this
command out (as root) and reply with the output: nmap -A -d scanme.nmap.org

* nmap --iflist fails to find any routes when run as a regular user. This
is because dnet's route_open() tries to open a raw PF_ROUTE socket, which
is not permitted. Root has no such problems. The socket itself is not used
for the route_loop() on this platform, so we may be able to just skip the
creation of it, but I'm not sure that it's not used for something else.

* I may have broken Nmap on certain *BSD systems which have getkerninfo().
I need to test this, but I was trying to use feature macros
(HAVE_GETKERNINFO) instead of platform defines (_AIX). I'll try this out
soon and reorder some checks.

Features that have been tested and appear to work:

* TCP connect scan
* Service version scan
* NSE
* forward and reverse DNS lookups.