Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] ntp-info probing logic?

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 15:58:47 -0500

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 1:54 PM, <nnposter () users sourceforge net> wrote:

Daniel Miller wrote:
This changes the request from a version 4 to a version 2 packet, which
may
be more widely supported (version 3 appears to be the consensus, and each
version is backwards-compatible with previous ones except for version 1).

Unfortunately these specific targets do not respond to NTPv2 client
requests either. They do respond to the control requests.

nnposter,

I've committed a combination of our efforts in r33606. It removes the
fail-early check so that both probes are sent, since ntpd permissions are
granular enough to allow control requests but not client requests. It also
downgrades the client request to a version-2 request, in an effort to
expand our coverage to older equipment.

I'd appreciate your feedback if you find anything else wrong here. I simply
changed the version in the packet, so I may have ended up with a weird mix
of version 2 and version 4 fields, but I don't know since the payloads are
not well documented in the script (a future TODO item, I'm sure!). I also
changed the quoted-string parsing in r33608, so we can now handle escaped
quotes within a value. It seems to work fine for me here.

Dan