Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] ntp-info probing logic?

From: nnposter () users sourceforge net
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 18:54:25 +0000

Daniel Miller wrote:
While I'm not necessarily opposed to dropping the success check as you
propose, I think there may be a better improvement, too. What results do
you get if you apply this patch?
<snip>
This changes the request from a version 4 to a version 2 packet, which may
be more widely supported (version 3 appears to be the consensus, and each
version is backwards-compatible with previous ones except for version 1).

If this solves your issue, I'd be inclined to just limit the change to this
for now. Though your idea does bring to mind the fact that most UDP NSE
scripts do not attempt to retransmit packets, which means that network
congestion could result in lost results.

Hello Dan,
Unfortunately these specific targets do not respond to NTPv2 client
requests either. They do respond to the control requests.

As far as I can tell they are Cisco 2911 routers but I know nothing
about their specific software version and/or configuration.

Cheers,
nnposter