Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 6.45 Informal Release

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 10:29:08 -0500

On 04/13/2014 07:24 AM, Patrik Karlsson wrote:
I was having success with 0x0fe9 to a large extent as well in the request until the emails yesterday where it was pointed out that it didn't work against the CloudFlare challenge. I tried my initial commit and it did work up until the 0x4000 was replaced.

I did a quick binary search, and the minimum required to get a response from CloudFlare is 0x3fe9. This is so close to 0x4000 as to be indistinguishable regarding network impact, so let's stick with the 0x4000

Personally, I'm less concerned about IDS detection than false negatives. We could make the default 0x4000 and allow changing it with an argument?

-Patrik
I think as long as we don't make it a default script, IDS evasion can be left as an exercise to the user. I fully support the script as it currently stands.

Dan