Nmap Development mailing list archives

Jacek's Status Report #6 of 13

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 18:48:03 +0200

Hello,

This is my report for week 6 of "Nsock-based port scanning"
Google Summer of Code project.

Accomplishments:

* Did a lot of refactoring/cleanup/bugfixing in my code,

* Implemented probe retransmissions that works pretty much the same way
that UltraScan's engine does. This means that if a probe times out, we
retransmit it at least two times. The maximum retransmission attempts
number goes up if any of the retransmitted probes actually makes it to
the target. The limit of --max-retries is already respected,

* Added support for source IP spoofing (socket binding actually) and
--ip-options (not tested yet). I also have --proxies code ready, but I'm
waiting for Henri to help me with testing it,

* Created data structures that allow me to keep track of per-host
retransmission variables and per-group timing data,

* Plugged in Nmap's congestion control mechanism to my prototype.
Instead of keeping a constant number of outstanding probes, it uses
ultra_timing_vals.cwnd and lets this structure know when we received a
response to a retransmitted or first-time probes,

* Split connection_handler into probe interpretation part that only
touches nsock and a decision-making one that takes care of timing,
retransmissions, etc. This will make it easier to add new callback-based
scan schemes to the code,

* The exam session is finally over. I passed most of my exams and will
be able to speed up with my work now. Also, I passed the midterm
evaluations!

Priorities:

* Play with --[max-]scan-delay, maybe --min-rate and --max-rate,

* Find out more on how Nmap uses ultra_timing_vals. My prototype doesn't
exactly behave like Nmap yet, so maybe there are other congestion
control mechanisms that are used,

* Experiment with adding test cases for my new features,

Yours,
Jacek Wielemborek