Nmap Development mailing list archives

[Patch] Update libpcap to 1.5.3; Also discussion on whether we should really bundle 3rd party libraries or not

From: Jay Bosamiya <jaybosamiya () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 20:54:07 +0530

Hi all!

I wrote a patch in March that updates libpcap but it turned out to be too large and so couldn't be reviewed and thus couldn't be committed. Most of its size came from the updates in libpcap itself and I personally had nothing to do in it.

In order to make it quite easy to review and for simplicity sake, I wrote the patch as a small script that is bundled with the actual changes I made. (script.sh and nmap_modifications.patch respectively).
I have attached the same as a compressed tar.gz.

To use the script, please extract the file to an empty directory and run script.sh using bash. The script allows you to check out nmap, download libpcap 1.5.3, runs the necessary changes (see nmap_modifications.patch) and then generates a final patch file which can then be used on the latest svn repo to update libpcap.

Note: You can test the downloaded libpcap file's signature here: http://www.tcpdump.org/#latest-release to make sure that the download was successful.

In order to review the patch, only reading the two files is needed and testing can be done after running script.sh.

FYI, any tests that I ran after updating libpcap worked just fine. I was testing on Ubuntu 14.04 (64 bit).

BTW, Looking at all the trouble that it takes to update a third party library, both Gisle and Daniel have pointed out that we should actually be having no need to bundle libpcap or any other 3rd party library for that matter with Nmap. Quoting Dan, "The basic question is, should we bundle readily-available third-party libraries with Nmap? Sometimes we need to make modifications; sometimes (like liblinear) the libraries are not readily available; but we don't want to get into this problem of needing to keep them updated all the time!"

What I suggest is that we should probably discuss this here and decide whether we want to continue with these party libraries (and commit in this update) or whether we should get rid of them (thus, not only reducing bloat but also removing this trouble of updating).

I personally say that we should remove these libraries, even though I just helped in updating one.

Hopefully we'll come to some sort of resolution on this soon. :)

Cheers,
Jay