Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] hostmap-ip2hosts not working (ip2hosts.com gone)

From: Paulino Calderon Pale <calderon () websec mx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 21:17:30 -0500

On Apr 18, 2014, at 11:11 AM, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com> wrote:

On 04/17/2014 09:22 AM, Daniel Miller wrote:
Just got this bug report via Twitter: https://twitter.com/ripmeout/status/456352270850863105

"@*nmap* <https://twitter.com/nmap> Hi! I was trying to run "hostmap-ip2hosts.nse" script but the
http://www.ip2hosts.com<http://t.co/DQG3V2PasD> is no longer alive. :("

Does anyone have information on this service and whether this outage is permanent?

We should probably have a way to check the status of these external services and update our scripts accordingly.

Dan
The site is back up for now, but the question of how to detect and deal with external dependencies and API changes
still stands.

Dan

Hey list,

Mmm, I run the site ip2hosts.com hehe. Unfortunately I was travelling when the domain expired (duh) and somehow I
managed to mark the emails as spam so I didn’t notice right away (duh^2). I apologise for all the trouble. I have made
sure this won’t happen again.

As far as monitoring all the external dependencies, what do you think about an independent script? We could also just
make sure external scripts implement their own methods to detect changes in the data source. We have 30 external
scripts so I don’t think this change will take us much time.

Cheers.