Nmap Development mailing list archives

Zenmap and nmap producing different results

From: Atelier JVA <atelier.jva () icloud com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:12:36 +1000

Hello,

I have just installed nmap 6.46 from the Mac OS X binaries.

I ran into a few problems to make zenmap work, I had the same problems described in Zenmap GUI & nmap-update "Library not loaded" Error on Mac OS X 10.9.2 <http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2014/q2/199>, but finally I get it working.

now my problem is that if I execute the same command in nmap and in Zenmap I am getting different results.

For instance a simple ping with 'nmap -sn <host ip>' will produce the following :

In the terminal

   Starting Nmap 6.46 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-04-29 10:05 EST
   Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.50
   Host is up (0.00074s latency).
   Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.15 seconds

In Zenmap

     Starting Nmap 6.46 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-04-29 10:06 EST
     Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.49 seconds

I have the same results with 'nmap -Pn <host ip>'

The target host is a virtualbox machine running ubuntu, with a bridged interface. I can ping to and from it to the shared network.

I am running Zenmap in privileged mode

Any clue of what might be happening?

Best regards

JVA