Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap x64 on Windows

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:05:42 -0000

Happy New Year!

I thought I'd share some good news and let you know that I've managed to
successfully compile an x64 version of Nmap for Windows. It turns out it
wasn't that difficult, the hardest part being that Visual C++ 2010 Express
doesn't support x64 out of the box; you have to use the Windows SDK 7.1 and
configure a few things. Actually compiling OpenSSL and Nmap was relatively
easy after that. Details on how I did it are on my blog:
https://www.robnicholls.co.uk/comments.php?id=2483

I haven't built nmap-update.exe yet, but hopefully it's not too difficult to
build x64 versions of the third party libsvn libraries, or we could stick
with x86 for now as it's a small program that presumably doesn't benefit
from being x64. Similarly, I've not bothered doing anything with Zenmap (I'm
not sure I can do anything as we use py2exe); presumably people can use the
python scripts with an x64 version of Python if they desperately need to run
x64 versions. The NSIS based installers are still 32-bit too.

At some point I'll see how easy it is to merge the files/changes into the
existing repository to avoid duplication (possibly a simple tweak of all the
.vcxproj files so AdditionalIncludeDirectories for the x64 versions points
at new files). At the moment I've replaced all the Win32 files with x64
ones, but it should be possible to have both (perhaps some in a mswin64
directory adjacent to mswin32 and the rest in a new nmap-mswin64-aux
repository?).

Rob