Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [patch][Ndiff] Make Ndiff install as a library as well as a script

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 20:12:19 -0700

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>wrote:

List,

Ndiff is a great tool, but it's also a great Python library for
parsing Nmap XML. Unfortunately, the current setup.py does not install
it as a module, but only as a script. I've made a couple changes that
should correct this situation. The diff is attached, but the solution
also requires renaming ndiff/ndiff to ndiff/ndiff.py

I don't see any issues with this, but I'm biased. I did take the
precaution of not modifying ndiff at all, so it can still be copied by
itself and used as a script. My first take involved stripping the "run
as a script" code from it entirely, but I figured that might cause
some folks headaches.

Thoughts?

Thanks Dan, this sounds like a promising idea!  I've only been able to take
a quick glance, but I have a few questions:

o Is it nmap/ndiff/ndiff in svn which would have to be renamed to ndiff.py?
 And this is so it can function as a more general Nmap parsing library?
 Your patch does not do this renaming.

o Your patch creates nmap/ndiff/scripts/ndiff, which is only five lines of
code.  So this would become the command line script people would call to
use ndiff, and it basically relies on the newly renamed ndiff.py library to
do all of its work?

o  On Windows of course we use py2exe to create an executable ndiff.exe.  I
assume this still works with your changes?

Thanks,
Fyodor