Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] All-Seeing Eye version detection and info

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2013 14:00:18 -0800

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Marin Maržić <marzic () gmail com> wrote:

The All-Seeing Eye was an application that would track game servers,
display their status, etc. for various games.
There is also the All-Seeing Eye protocol for querying game servers about
their status, that various games had
implemented so they could be queried for their status in a "standardized"
way.

The project and game server tracking program have been dead for a while,
but game servers that had decided to use
the protocol still seem to be responding to status queries from anyone
(including Nmap :)).

There were dozens of games that implemented ASE at the time, and the
script has been tested on a few.

These resources (included in the script's doc) list a combined total of
~15 games that use it:
http://int64.org/docs/gamestat-protocols/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gameq/ (relevant files: games.ini,
packets.ini, ase.php)

Thanks Marin, this helps a lot.  Given how many games this protocol is used
for, it seems reasonable to put the script and service probes in.  So I've
done that in r32537.  I only made these changes:

- Changed service name from 'ase' to 'allseeingeye' to reduce ambiguity
- Changed script name accordingly (ase-info to allseeingeye-info)
- Remove script from "default" category so it doesn't slow down normal NSE
UDP scans against machines where those ports are "open|filtered".  If folks
want it to run, they should enable version detection or they can list the
script by name or use a category like 'discovery'.

I don't have any of the relevant games handy and so I was only able to do a
"mocked up" test.  Are you able to test this change and ensure it is
working fine?

Thanks again,
Fyodor