Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncrack development work

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:25:26 -0600

On 11/14/2013 12:00 PM, Nathaniel Pawelczyk wrote:
Hello Dan,

Thank you for your reply. If we were to focus our development efforts on nmap, could you recommend a feature of nmap for us to work on that involves data structures? We are open to working on just about anything.

Thank you,
NP

Nathaniel,

Pretty much any feature is going to *use* data structures. If you're looking to *design* new data structures, then writing NSE scripts and libraries is probably the way to go. The data structures in Nmap's C++ code are pretty well set, unless you can come up with a new major feature (probably not an easy task!).

One project that would probably involve some data structures work in C++ would be to implement the occasionally-asked-for port exclusion option. References to previous discussion/work on the subject are below. Note that the interaction between the -F, --top-ports, and -p options are not well-defined, so the project would have to begin by eliciting requirements and documenting how these options will interact.

If you want to discuss in a more informal setting, there are usually one or two core developers hanging out in Nmap's IRC channel on Freenode, irc://chat.freenode.net/#nmap

Dan