Nmap Development mailing list archives

"Windows does not support scanning your own machine (localhost) this way" shows all scanned ports

From: security () zarco nl
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 19:22:48 +0200

Dear Fyodor,

When I scan my LAN with a Windows machine (behavior has been ever since WinXP, now using Win8) and nmap has reached my Windows machine, I get the error:

Skipping SYN Stealth Scan against 192.168.2.4 because Windows does not support scanning your own machine (localhost) this way.
Nmap scan report for 192.168.2.4
Host is up.
PORT      STATE   SERVICE
1/tcp     unknown tcpmux
3/tcp     unknown compressnet
4/tcp     unknown unknown
6/tcp     unknown unknown
7/tcp     unknown echo
9/tcp     unknown discard
13/tcp    unknown daytime
17/tcp    unknown qotd
19/tcp    unknown chargen
20/tcp    unknown ftp-data
21/tcp    unknown ftp
22/tcp    unknown ssh
23/tcp    unknown telnet
24/tcp    unknown priv-mail
25/tcp    unknown smtp
26/tcp    unknown rsftp
30/tcp    unknown unknown
32/tcp    unknown unknown
33/tcp    unknown dsp
etc...

Could you remove the display full list of ports that have been scanned on the Windows machine? The current behavior display too much information which isn't all that useful at the moment of scanning.

Also, when I execute a scan like this one: nmap 192.168.2.1 -A --webxml -oX test.xml I get a xml file which cannot be opened in MSIE successfully. Instead of the full list of information like it did some versions ago or like the command-line output does, I only see the following text:

cpe:/a:acme:micro_httpd'+i1+' cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel:2.4 cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel:2.4

With kind regards,
Zarco Zwier