Nmap Development mailing list archives

Defcon Roll Call

From: Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 01:30:29 -0700

Hi Folks!  Defcon is upon us and in fact many of us have been in Las Vegas
all week.  But I wanted to send a shout out to see who else from the Nmap
community is here?  For one thing, I'd like to invite you to the Nmap
Developer Dinner tonight (Friday).  You don't need to be a committer,
anyone listed at http://nmap.org/changelog.html is welcome.  Just let me
know and I'll send you the details.

Also, I scanned the Defcon Schedule looking for Nmap-related talks, and the
good news is there are quite a few of them.  The bad news is that many are
about exploiting, spoofing, or otherwise interfering with Nmap scans.
 Maybe it's testament to Nmap's effectiveness that people are working so
hard to defeat it :).  In any case, here are the talks which mention Nmap
(ordered by presentation time):

"Pwning You(R) Cyber Offenders by Piotr Duszynski - Friday 1:30pm
 - This short (20 minute) talk is about "offensive defense"--actively
causing problems for folks probing your networks.  They discovered and will
demonstrate the first vulnerability ever discovered in Nmap itself.  It may
be very small/obscure, but is still a real bug.  It was documented and
fixed in Nmap 6.40.
 - More: https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-21/dc-21-speakers.html#Duszynski

"Building an Android IDS on Network Level" by Jaime Sanchez - Saturday 1:30
pm
 - This is a 20-minute turbo talk describing an open source IPS which can
use custom build signatures to perform many functions, including "fool and
cheat operating system fingerprinting attempts (like nmap or p0f)"
 - More: https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-21/dc-21-speakers.html#Sanchez

"Blucat: Netcat For Bluetooth" by Joseph Paul Cohen - Sunday 2:00pm
 - Introduces a tool for exploring and debugging Bluetooth devices.  Joseph
compares it to the way Nmap and Netcat help you explore TCP/IP.
 - More: https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-21/dc-21-speakers.html#Cohen

"Collaborative Penetration Testing With Lair" by Tom Steele and Dan
Kottimann - Sunday 2:30pm
 - Introduces Lair, an open source web application which "normalizes,
centralizes, and manages diverse test data from a number of common tools
including Nmap, Nessus, Nexpose, and Burp."
 - More: https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-21/dc-21-speakers.html#Steele

"Let's screw with nmap" by Gregory Pickett - Sunday 3pm
 - This is a Linux Kernel module which tries to normalize traffic routed
through it in order to defeat OS detection attempts
 - More: https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-21/dc-21-speakers.html#Pickett

Cheers,
Fyodor