Nmap Development mailing list archives

Google Summer of Code 2013 (Feature Creeper and Bug Wrangler)

From: Usman Zaheer <usmanzaheer53 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 22:08:22 +0500

Note: I sent the following e-mail on 16th April as well, but I guess it got
lost somewhere during the Nmap-dev downtime.

Hello,
        Usman Zaheer here from Lahore University of Management Sciences
(LUMS), Pakistan (3rd Year Undergraduate CS).

I have been looking at the Ideas page for the past few days and think that
I will be most interested in the Feature Creeper/ Bug Wrangler Position
because this will give me a broad overview of how Nmap code works as a
complete system.

I have strong skills in C/C++ and Python. Currently I am learning Lua and
hope to get it done soon :).

I think I can pick up stuff quickly because I have approx. one year of
Research Experience under my belt where I had a really steep learning curve
but still it worked out fine.

Regarding the "Exploring port scanning from within NSE" idea, what are some
baseline features that we are going to write modules for? Any suggestions?

Moreover, how do the developers test the code patches for Nmap (best
practices?) because this is a bit different from typical software apps.

Further, I guess other ideas like XML parser listed on the Ideas page also
fall into the feature creeper role, right?

Also, any further resource that someone may want to point me to?

Thanks in advance :)
Regards.