Nmap Development mailing list archives

http-changelog.nse script and GSoC participation.

From: Yashin Mehaboobe <yashinm92 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 22:45:53 +0530

Hey there! I am Yashin Mehaboobe, an undergraduate student pursuing a
Bachelors in Computer Science. I was hoping to participate in the nmap
project as part of the GSoC13 program. I’m particularly interested in the
vulnerability and exploitation script writer position as security has been
my area of interest for a long time. I have been using nmap for the past 5
years. I’ve been a security enthusiast for about the same time. I usually
use nmap to poke at my exploitation lab targets (Virtualized—Kioptrix,
PwnOS, DVL and so on) and also use it in various CTFs. Therefore I’m very
familiar with it as it was one of the first security tools I learned to
use. My most preferred language is Python. I’ve worked in it a lot and have
created multiple scripts ranging in function from malware detection based
on the VirusTotal API (my first project on the RPi) to a web.py based
LinkedIn network connections analyzer. I’ve detected and disclosed a
vulnerability in the android OS to Google. The PoC I wrote was in python.
My second favorite language would be C. I’m well versed in the language. I
also code occasionally in Visual Basic (Windows 8 and win32 apps),
JavaScript, PHP, C++ and Java. I have a thorough understanding of network
and local security concepts as well as their implementations. I’m a
beginner in Lua but it seems to be very interesting. I’ve managed to do one
of the Nmap scripts in the incoming page of the Ideas section.
https://gist.github.com/Sp3ctr3/1dfa617c22c247e64e3c This version does not
use a database file yet, but I plan on implementing that very soon. For now
it just detects it if it is the changelog.txt of certain websites. I plan
on expanding it as we go along. I’m currently working on the vulnerability
scanner idea in that page. That was particularly interesting! I’d
absolutely love to contribute more to the security community in particular
and the coding community in general. I really hope to get selected for the
nmap group in GSoC as I want to give back to the community for all the
support it has provided*.*