Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Revisiting the Nmap Public Source License

From: "Jan-Oliver Wagner" <Jan-Oliver.Wagner () greenbone net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:53:47 +0100

Hello,

On Mittwoch, 27. März 2013, Fyodor wrote:
The license change would only apply to future versions of Nmap, not 6.25
and earlier.  And since I know licenses can be a touchy subject, I'll wait
a couple weeks to collect feedback before making any change.

in order to get fully in line with the NPSL in OpenVAS and any solution
using OpenVAS I kindly ask for some clarification of section 3 (Derivative Work).

In OpenVAS we have for example a script called nmap.nasl that calls the nmap
executable and uses the output. So it is clearly subject to item 3 of this section.
Which in turn means it is subject to 2b) of GPLv2.

Section 2b says "... under the terms of this License".
Section 3 of NPSL says "...  Such redistributed works must also carry forward all
of the terms of this Main License Body. "

So, is it to be interpreted that with "this license" in the GPL subpart the whole
license (NSPL) is meant?
Must nmap.nasl (licensed GPLv2) therefore actually carry the terms of the
Main License Body of NPSL to be in line?

BTW: I think "compatable" is a typo?

I think there are some more potential violations or at least aspects that
need clarification in OpenVAS regarding NSPL. I'd like to research, address
and resolve them one by one so that at the end of the day all is in line and
everyone using/integrating OpenVAS is aware of legal obligations and implications.

All the best

Jan