Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Revisiting the Nmap Public Source License

From: "Jan-Oliver Wagner" <Jan-Oliver.Wagner () greenbone net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 13:03:59 +0100

Hello,

On Mittwoch, 27. März 2013, Fyodor wrote:
The license change would only apply to future versions of Nmap, not 6.25
and earlier.  And since I know licenses can be a touchy subject, I'll wait
a couple weeks to collect feedback before making any change.

at a quick glance, I saw that the URL to GPL at the very bottom of the license
page uses http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

This might cause some confusion because the page today shows GPLv3. And I guess
FSF uses this URL for referencing the licenses such "GPLv2 or any later version".
Some day v4 may appear there.

If I understand it correctly, NPSL applies no "or any later version" term. So maybe
linking http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0
could avoid potential confusion?

All the best

Jan