Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Lotus Domino httpd version

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 10:15:11 -0800

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 06:42:06PM +0100, Jesper Kückelhahn wrote:
I thought a bit more about this, and might it be more useful to
generalise this script to extract versions of different web /
application servers? This could be a very small list compared to
http-fingerprints, including only pages that could be used for version
extraction. Domino, Tomcat, Sharepoint, Apache httpd, JBoss AS,
Glassfish, WebLogic, WebSphere, .Net, etc could be potential
candidates for this list.

I don't want two scripts that are variations on the theme "download lots
of URLs, grep them for info." I don't want a second script that is
mostly the same as passing a different http-enum.fingerprintfile to
http-enum. I don't see a reason to put web application services in a
category apart from other HTTP services.

It's true that http-enum and http-fingerprints are limited in what they
can report, for example they only allow a line of human-readable output
and not structured information like the version and CPE. In this respect
your ike-fingerprints is much better designed. I would rather have these
feature enhancements added to http-enum, than have two scripts that work
mostly the same but slightly differently, trying two different lists of
URLs, one with richer output than the other.

What is the rule of thumb for default version detection scripts in
regards to http traffic, and net traffic in general ?

Downloading a page is fine. Guessing multiple URLs and trying to
download them is not, for the default category. Remember that a default
version script for HTTP will potentially run for *every HTTP server ever
encountered in a scan*, and only a tiny fraction of those servers will
be a web application server you're interested in.

David Fifield