Nmap Development mailing list archives

Test library

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 21:40:36 -0500

All,

I've started some work on a Nmap testlib some time ago.
It does work and does some of what I hoped to achieve at the moment,
however, it's far from complete.
I thought I throw it out here to see the response and to determine whether
it's worth to continue working on.
It currently works by overriding the "normal" socket calls and thereby
allows a test section to feed messages to both the send and receive
functions. This is all happening in the Lua space and should be
"transparent" to the script itself.

I've committed, at least I hope I did (me and git are not friends yet) my
code to a topic branch at github over here;
https://github.com/nevdull77/nmap/tree/testlib

It currently has the testlib library with the patching of the socket code
and two scripts making use of it; http-title and vnc-info.

In order to function, Nmap still needs to detect the port as open to
trigger execution of the script. I'm achieving this by listening to a port
with ncat and then launching the tests like this.

nmap -Pn 127.0.0.1 -p 8080 --script +http-title
--script-args='test,test.case=1' -d3

The first argument (test) triggers the socket function patching and the
second argument specifies which of the 3 test cases to run.

Like I said, at this point it's more to get a feeling whether anyone thinks
this is useful. Personally, I probably do and I got the idea a while back
when someone had issues with a service I didn't have access to and thought
that I could probably simulate it using pcaps and this library.

Oh and also, I've relocated to NYC from Sweden with the whole family, which
has taken my focus off Nmap for a while, but I'm still trying to get some
scripts written. If someone is in NYC and wants to meet up and grab some
food or drinks at some point, let me know.

Cheers,
Patrik

--
Patrik Karlsson