Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: 6.25 Windows Installer On Win8 64bit Has Premature Reboot

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () robnicholls co uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 12:20:47 -0000

Hi Jonathan,

attempts to restart when the WinPcap installer is initiated and will not
complete the install.

On a clean install, our WinPcap installer simply creates a few files in the
appropriate places and creates a new service using Windows API calls (if
WinPcap wasn't already present, this shouldn't hit any problems), it
shouldn't force or request a system restart (AFAIK there isn't any code in
our NSIS script that tries to perform a restart).

The only thing I can think of that *might* result in a restart (because we
didn't write it ourselves, but I've not seen any evidence of this happening
when I search the Internet) is because our installer silently installs the
Visual C++ Redistributable files (different versions for Nmap and Zenmap),
with the 2010 version installed before the WinPcap installer is launched,
and the 2008 version installed afterwards (your system tried to restart
before this point, so I'm inclined to rule the 2008 one out); but we should
be installing the latest versions and I haven't spotted this problem on any
of my test Windows 8 x64 VMs or a Windows Server 2012 installation (I had to
create a new Win8 x64 VM yesterday evening and the Nmap installation went
fine on it few minutes ago).

Luckily I had several apps that needed input and prevented
the reboot so the install could continue. Perhaps it would be worth noting
on
the web page of this; easy workaround would be to have an app like notepad
open with something that would prompt one to save or discard their work.

Thank you for reporting this; but unless it becomes a common problem, I'm
inclined to think the restart was caused by something unrelated (perhaps
Windows Update, or something similar, was automatically installing
updates?).

Rob