Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap result viewer

From: Martin Holst Swende <martin () swende se>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 20:00:26 +0100

On 12/02/2012 01:47 AM, David Fifield wrote:
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:01:05AM +0100, Martin Holst Swende wrote:
I almost forgot about this, but a while ago I patched my nmap
one-page-app resultviewer in order to be fully local : without the need
for a server component. That means a user does not have to host a local
webserver or upload data to a third party in order to use it, which
makes it a lot more attractive.

If you want to test the tool, check it out at the address below, and
import an xml file:
  http://martin.swende.se/nmap/
I don't know the exact limits (probably depends on browser and OS), but
a friend of mine reported that it was not very usable with 10K+ hosts.

Feedback appreciated, and it is fully open source
(https://bitbucket.org/holiman/nmap-onepage/ ).
This is quite cool.
Thanks!

This is arguably more useful than nmap.xsl. Do you
think it is possible to make this interface work in a way similar to
current nmap.xsl?

David Fifield

Hm, that depends on how you mean...

If we included a vanilla page <nmap-home>/resultsview/index.html , it
would be pretty easy to generate a index-page custom built for a
particular scan, so the user does not have to import the xml-file, if
that was what you meant. One simple way to achieve it would be to just
inline the xml-file as a javascript variable, and 'pretend' it was
loaded using the  common loader.

If you mean that the generated page would be totally self-sufficient,
inlining all javascript, css and image resources... that certainly could
be done, but it would be a lot more work...

I removed some dead code (1 Mb of psd-files) and the code contents ended
up at ~600K. This includes a few non-minimized js-libraries, a lot of
unused css and some unused images, so I would guess that the size of
this can cut down a lot further. So, from that perspective, if we would
want to include it into nmap proper, it should not be any problems.

Regards,
Martin Holst Swende