Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: never terminating scripts

From: Henri Doreau <henri.doreau () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 14:11:11 +0200

2012/10/1 van Hauser <vh () thc org>:
Hi,

when running nmap (6.01) with --script=all   (or better, --script="all
and not dos and not broadcast and not external")  the scan is running
forever.
From the verbose output I can see that one NASL script is still running,
expected to only need 00:01.  But I can not see which NASL script is
doing that.
It only happens to some servers, so I except its an issue with a NASL
script and the behaviour of one special, unusual service, otherwise that
would have been fixed since 5.5x.

So, my question is - how can I find out which nasl script is producing
the issue so it an be fixed? Is there a hidden switch to see which nasl
scripts are still running?

Greets,
vh
[re-sending, forgot to CC list]

Hello,

this looks like an issue that we recently fixed in the SVN version (see
[1]). Can you try it and let us know if the problem persists?

Also, if you are running nmap in interactive mode you can press "d"
twice to increase debug level, then press "enter" to get a traceback of
the currently running scripts. You can indeed use -d2 in the command
line but the entire scan will then be super verbose.

You might also be interested in the --script-trace switch.

HTH
Regards

[1] http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2012/q3/56

PS: s/NASL/NSE/ ;)