Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Script suggestion - oracle

From: Martin Holst Swende <martin () swende se>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 09:48:43 +0200

On 09/30/2012 05:46 AM, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 10:40 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:59:14AM +0200, Martin Holst Swende wrote:
I took a look at this
http://marcel.vandewaters.nl/oracle/security/cryptographic-flaws-in-oracle-database-authentication-protocol

Then checked tns.lua. Patrik has implemented TNS far enough it seems,
there is implementation support for enumerating users and getting the
salt (auth["AUTH_VFR_DATA"] ) and session key.

As I interpret the info given above and in the comments on
http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/flaw-oracle-logon-protocol-leads-easy-password-cracking-092012?utm_source=Threatpost&utm_medium=Tabs&utm_campaign=Today%27s+Most+Popular
), it seems like the session key is encrypted with SHA1(salt+pw), and it
is possible to determine whether the decryption is correct or not, and
thereby determine what the password is.

More info about this will probably be released soon, would be solid
script to add to NSE. Since enumeration is already implemented, a script
could just get all users and their passwords in one go. That's pretty
awesome.
I have authored JtR and Ettercap plug-ins to exploit the cryptographic
flaw in Oracle Database authentication protocol. See
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2012/09/29/2
✗ ../run/john -fo:o5logon -t
Benchmarking: Oracle O5LOGON protocol [32/64]... DONE
Raw:    748982 c/s real, 754370 c/s virtual

This is ~2.5X faster than Marcel's tool
(http://marcel.vandewaters.nl/oracle/security/cryptographic-flaws-in-oracle-database-authentication-protocol).

oracle-brute.nse script is failing for me. I have sent an email to
Patrik (along with .pcap files) to debug the issue. Once this is
sorted out, I will try to figure out how do to stealth attack against
Oracle databases.

I'd suggest that the we just modify the oracle-enum-users to dump out
the salt and auth_vfr_data in a format which can be consumed by john,
instead of actually adding password cracking. That is the same approach
as in http-domino-enum-users, where the script output tells the user
what jtr --format to use for the hashes.
/Martin