Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: smb-check-vulns.nse reports error on hosts possibly infected with Conficker

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:30:41 -0700

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:39:19AM -0500, Kit Peters wrote:
Environment: nmap / zenmap 6.01 on windows 7 64-bit.  Run against a
heterogeneous network (TV / radio station) of servers, workstations,
printers, and other embedded systems.
Expected behavior: Systems likely to be infected with Conficker are
reported as such
Actual behavior: Possibly infected systems (in a previous run on the same
system with nmap 5.50 they were reported as likely to be infected) generate
the error: "Conficker: UNKNOWN; got error NT_STATUS_WERR_INVALID_PARAMETER
(srvsvc.netpathcanonicalize)"

Discussion: When I ran a scan on the network with nmap 5.50 many of the
systems that generated the NT_STATUS_WERR_INVALID_PARAMETER error were
reported as likely to be infected with Conficker.C or lower.  One system in
particular (192.168.87.201) I am fairly certain is infected.  However, when
I updated to (ze)nmap 6.01, all of these systems instead gave me the above
error.

Thanks for this report. There was in fact a bug. Please try this
revision of the script:
https://svn.nmap.org/nmap/scripts/smb-check-vulns.nse

The problem was the name of an error code that was being checked for by
the script. It was changed in r24847 from NT_STATUS_WERR_UNKNOWN_57 to
NT_STATUS_WERR_INVALID_PARAMETER, and the code was still looking for an
"UNKNOWN_57" string. I don't know why the code is seaching for status
code names rather than just comparing integers.

David Fifield