Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: .htaccess + php sec bypass

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 07:15:45 -0700

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 05:19:42PM -0500, Paulino Calderon wrote:
On 04/08/2012 08:11 p.m., Paulino Calderon wrote:
On 30/07/2012 07:49 p.m., Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
Hey, thank you MK!

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Matias Katz<matias () matiaskatz com>  wrote:
If you need any feedback from me, please ask. I'd be happy to reply, and
help in any part of the script writing process :)

I've looked into this tool and realized that we sort of have a
similar script that can accomplish this task. The tool released in
BH basically attempts to access a resource using a non-existing
HTTP method (AKA HTTP verb tampering). Not too long ago, Hani
released http-method-tamper which performs a similar test but is
focused on the JBoss vulnerablity (CVE-2010-0738).

I'm attaching a new version of the script http-method-tamper. It
has the following advantages over the previous version:
* Supports http spidering. The idea is that users can run the
script with no arguments and it will crawl the webserver, identify
protected resources and attempt to bypass the authentication.
* Supports checks to specific paths. If a user know what paths
need to be checked, we can do so by setting an argument. No
spidering is done when we specify paths.
* The test to identify the vulnerability is more comprehensive in
this script. First, we try with "HEAD", then "POST" and finally a
random string (Non-existing method) as the HTTP verbs.

IMO the existing script works perfectly for checking CVE 2010-0738
but since this is a general check, the specific JBoss information
should be moved a separate script.

Feel free to test it against my test installation at 106.187.53.215:
nmap -p80 --script http-method-tamper --script-args
paths=/method-tamper/protected/pass.txt 106.187.53.215

Did anyone have a chance to test this update? What are your opinions
regarding these two scripts and their names?

Recap:
1.- Current http-method-tamper does not detect misconfigured
htaccess files and seems to be too specific for that jboss vuln.
2.- New script has spidering support and improved detecting. But I'm
hesitant to name it  as the old one "http-method-tamper" as users
might unintentionally crawl webservers thinking it still works as
before.

Feel free to try against the test server mentioned above.

I can see the value in spidering to find paths but it's also useful for
a script to have a list of paths like /jmx-console that are good
candidates to test.

You can commit your new http-method-tamper with spidering, however it
should not be in the safe category.

Move the existing http-method-tamper to something named after the
vulnerability advisory, and leave it in safe.

David Fifield