Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Unexpected error in NSE_TYPE_READ callback. Error code: 10052 (Unknown error) QUITTING!

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () thievco com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:45:25 -0700

A little more color on this bug;

The "IP" in question turned out to be the switch answering any ARP, but
then not replying to any IP traffic. So it would appear that nmap was
reacting to ARP working, but not getting any UDP/ICMP responses.

Why the switch was acting that way, I'm not sure. Some kind of proxy ARP
weirdness. But with that portion of the behavior gone, nmap now just
says "host seems down."

Still, it's a bug. I suppose this might happen with
aggressively-firewalled hosts, too.

                                        Ryan