Nmap Development mailing list archives

NSE Script Idea Brainstorming Meeting Tomorrow on IRC

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 17:48:26 -0700

Hi Folks!  With three full time SoC NSE script writers, plus folks
like Patrik continuing to code up a storm, we've encountered an
unexpected problem: we're running out of great script ideas to
implement!  Of course we won't lower our standards, so we're holding
an IRC meeting tomorrow to brainstorm and prioritize the ideas we
already have.

What makes a good script?  In general, we look for ideas which:

o Gather useful information or perform a widely useful task

o Fit into Nmap's network discovery and security scanning focus

o Can run reasonably quickly

We're particularly fond of scripts which can go in the default or
version categories, since those are the most widely used (for
criteria, see http://nmap.org/book/nse-usage.html#nse-categories ).

So if anyone has ideas for what you'd like Nmap to be able to do, now
is your chance!  You can see the ideas we already have to start with
on the script ideas page:

https://secwiki.org/w/Nmap_Script_Ideas

The meeting is tomorrow (Tuesday the 5th) at 12:30pm PDT in the #nmap
channel of Freenode (chat.freenode.net).  That is 19:30 UTC.  We won't
let it go more than 2 hours.

If this proves useful, maybe we'll start having more Nmap IRC
development meetings.

Cheers,
Fyodor