Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: EXPERT IPv6 network scaning

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:12:22 -0700

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 11:11:24PM +0530, niteesh kumar wrote:
On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 10:56 PM, niteesh kumar <niteesh3 () gmail com> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:38 AM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>wrote:

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:15:27PM +0530, niteesh kumar wrote:
Hi,
Hi, I'm Niteesh Kumar, from India. I'm an undergraduate in, Department
of
Computer Science and Engineering,Indian Institute of Technology
Guwahati ,
India. I'm really interesting about networking specially security of
protocols. Specially developing IDS/IPS and network monitoring systems,
network applications and learning new technologies. I really like to get
involve  with your projects. I want to focus on expert IPv6, I have
prior
experience of SoC With UMIT. M also working on developing IDS for LAN
based
attacks IPv6 as a research academic project.

Thanks Niteesh. It sounds as if you've got a lot of experience and I
hope you submit a proposal. Please let us know if you have questions
about what IPv6 jobs are needed. I think some interesting areas are
local multicast host discovery (finding hosts even on a /64 LAN), remote
host discovery (are there other probes like ICMPv4 timestamp request
that we can use for IPv6?), and testing NSE scripts to make them
IPv6-capable.

i m currently trying resolve IPs in network using MLD probes in IPv6
network (local network ) . m expecting results on efficiency and
correctness of this mechanism in a day or two.

today i checked using MLD probes and max time to response set to 0. all
machines (in my small test bed there were 2 machines with IP belonging to
same multicast group)  respond to specific multicast group MDL query also
similar behavior was observed for general query . I also observed that
sending Echo request to all node multicast address machine with linux
(ubuntu/fedora) do respond with echo reply. this can be used to scan ip`s
present in an IPv6  network. David i need your inputs to this, if you also
conducted some of similar experiments and got similar or different results

I'm interested in what you were able to find using MLD probes. Can you
share the tools or commands that you used to run this test?

As for multicast echo requests, that is already implemented as a script.
There are also two other multicast techniques we support. One good
summer project would be to 1) make Nmap aware of when such techniques
can automatically be used in place of unicast probes, and 2) make it
automatically use these techniques in place of unicast probes when it
can.

http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-echo.html
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-invalid-dst.html
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/targets-ipv6-multicast-slaac.html