Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: OS X Lion and IPv6

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 20:44:28 +0100

Confirm. Fails when running nmap as root, works as a non-root user.

You have another email on this issue - I'll be replying to that one too  :)

Anyone else seeing this on OS X Lion?

Cheers,
Patrik

I actually got this working today when researching another problem I'm
experiencing on OS X.
When scanning the LAN I never get the MAC address of any remote hosts
except for the default gw.
It turns out that this occurs because Nmap does not consider the hosts on
my LAN to be directly connected which is a prerequisite for the ARP scan if
I'm not mistaken. Spending some time in gdb and comparing the results on a
bridged virtual machine running Linux (where I get the MAC addresses) I
noticed that the routing table returned by --iflist looked kind of strange
as my LAN address was not there on the Mac OS X box. I tracked the problem
to the route_loop in route-bsd.c.

To be honest, this is new territory for me, so I'm not really sure what's
going on, but I noticed there was a problem where the LAN entry was skipped
due to how the loop processing the routing entries is written. Commenting
out line 295 in route-bsd.c fixed the problem for me, but I'm guessing
theres probably more to it than that. If any dnet-guru would like to give
some insight that would be great as it fixes two annoying problems on OS X.

Cheers,
Patrik
--
Patrik Karlsson