Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE:porting mysql-brute to brute framework

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 14:56:13 +0100

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Littlefield, Tyler <tyler () tysdomain com>wrote:

Hello:
I'm working on porting the mysql-brute script over. Here's what I have so
far, I'm just moving the code around.
I have a quick question regarding this though. The connect I believe is
called when this is passed on to the engine. Do I need to keep
disconnecting and reconnecting?

This depends on the behavior of mysql and if it requires disconnecting
after an invalid login attempt. If that's not the case, you can have a look
at how smtp-brute uses a socket pool of connected sockets.

Also, I'm noticing some try functions, but there's no error handling
setup. What do I need to do there?

The try function essentially checks the whether the first parameter
(status) returned from the called function is true or false and executes
the catch function before it halts script execution in case status is
false. You should probably replace it with an if statement when porting it
to the brute framework like this:

local status = mysql.receiveGreeting( socket )
if ( not(status) ) then
  some error handling code here
end

Finally, how do I submit this when it is finally done?

You can submit the script as an attachment here (to nmap-dev) once you have
something and me or someone else will have a look at it and get back to you
with comments.

Some comments in regards to the code and the brute framework; The scripts
that do not make use of the brute framework load a dictionary of usernames
and passwords usually using unpwdb.usernames() and unpwdb.passwords(), this
is done by the framework, so you can get rid of this code. Also, iterating
over usernames and passwords is done by the brute framework, so the login
function should really only have the code needed to perform the actual
login and check whether it was successful or not.

Hope that helps.
//Patrik
--
Patrik Karlsson