Nmap Development mailing list archives

service name: ms-term-serv vs microsoft-rdp

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 21:43:23 -0600

All,
        In the nmap-services file the term 'ms-term-serv' is used for Microsoft Terminal Services / Remote Desktop
on port 3389.  In the nmap-service-probes file the term 'microsoft-rdp' is used instead for the same service.

One side effect of this is the unusual-port.nse script flags this service when it is successfully detected on
the proper port.

IANA has the port labeled as 'ms-wbt-server', Microsoft Windows-based Terminal.  This is the term that Microsoft
uses in the services files on Windows 2008 and Windows 7.

I think we should change the values to be consistent between nmap-services and nmap-service-probes. A quick
check didn't turn up any scripts that referenced either term directly.  Does anyone have any feedback for the
usage of ms-term-server vs microsoft-rdp vs ms-wbt-server?

Thanks much,

Tom