Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap fetching based on UID+passwd, not $HOME

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 09:51:51 -0600

List,

What is the reasoning behind Nmap fetching files from (essentially) $(getent passwd $(id -u) | cut -d: -f6)/.nmap, instead of $HOME/.nmap? Is it a security issue for folks using sudo? It's making it difficult for me to test scripts by putting them into my own .nmap directory and then running Nmap with sudo, since it then looks in /root/.nmap/ for data files.

I'll gladly work on a patch to use the environment variable instead, but not if there is a valid reason for doing it the way it is done currently. Thanks for any input!

Dan