Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Reduce zenmap topology noise (patch)

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 15:26:49 +0100

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Brahim Sakka <brahim.sakka () gmail com>wrote:

I've stumbled upon this several times and was looking for a way to
reduce the noise you described. Thank you for this patch and I hope it
gets committed to Nmap.

2011/12/14, Anders Sundman <anders () 4zm org>:
Hi,

When running many traceroutes that traverse the same "anonymous" hop
between two known hosts, zenmap creates a new node in the graph for each
traceroute. This introduces a lot of unnecessary clutter in the graph.
200 traceroutes passing 2 (physical) anonymous devices currently
generates 400 nodes in the topology graph.

Sure, it might be a new physical anonymous device each time, but it
most likely isn't. Even if it is, I don't think it makes sense to
represent them as two distinct nodes (since there is no way to tell them
apart).

I suggest combining nodes in the graph that represent anonymous hops
between two known devices.

          / anon_1 \
..-> ip_a          ip_b -> ..  => .. -> ip_a -> anon_1 -> ip_b -> ..
          \ anon_2 /

Here is a patch implementing this behavior:

http://www.4zm.org/files/2011/integration.py.diff

Regards,
Anders

Thank's for the patch Anders. I don't use Zenmap myself, but based on your
explanation it sounds like a usable patch.
Could some Zenmap guru take a look at this patch so that we can make a
decision whether to commit it or not?

Thanks,
Patrik
--