Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: get_max_open_descriptors() is more generous than Nsock.

From: "Luis MartinGarcia." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:42:29 +0100

On 12/19/2011 02:30 PM, Henri Doreau wrote:
2011/12/19 Luis MartinGarcia. <luis.mgarc () gmail com>:
I should know the answer to this but, what's the current status of the
nsock-engines branch? Has it been merged into trunk? If it has, how do I
determine if the selected engine is select()-based or uses something
better? I'd like to find a way to use more than 1024 descriptors when
possible, not just use 1024 by default.

The branch is still on nmap-exp and I keep on maintaining it (though I
should check whether everything is fine after the recent changes on
the SVN infrastructure). There are just a couple (AIX-related)
revisions that haven't been merged yet from nsock (trunk), as I can't
test them. So currently you can assume that nsock uses select(2).

nsock-engines offers no way to get the engine identifier or
characteristics, as I absolutely wanted to preserve the external API,
but adding getters would be easy, just need to know what is desired.

Hi Henri,

How complicated would it be to implement something like
libnetutil::get_max_open_descriptors() in Nsock? (that function is
basically just a wrapper for getrlimit()) Personally, I think it would
be useful to be able to determine the maximum number of descriptors that
Nsock can handle at runtime.

I am not an expert on Nsocks internals but If that is easy to do, then I
think it is a much cleaner approach than providing getters to determine
the underlying engine and then try to guess the max number of
descriptors. What do you think?

Best regards,

Luis.