Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: targets-sniffer not using promiscuous mode?

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 17:23:52 +0100

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 5:10 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 05:35:40PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
Hi,

Why does targets-sniffer.nse not use promiscuous mode? As it is, it only
finds addresses that communicate with the scanning host, which is not
that useful. Why don't we change false to true here?

sock:pcap_open(interface, 104, false, "ip")

I turned on promiscuous mode for this script.

David Fifield

I'll check the broadcast-listener script for this as well. In regards to
these sniffing scripts I would like to create the "sniffer" category and
place them in there, rather than in the broadcast category as we've
discussed earlier.

I guess that the new category needs to be documented somewhere in addition
to changing the category in the scripts? Where would that place be, and is
"sniffer" the category name to go with?

Cheers,
Patrik
--