Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap fails to compile under OS X Lion

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 08:46:51 +0200

On Jul 21, 2011, at 11:33 AM, Patrik Karlsson wrote:

On Jul 21, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Patrik Karlsson wrote:

Hi list,

In addition to the other problems I got updating to Lion yesterday I can no longer compile Nmap.
I'm getting the following error:
netutil.cc: In function ‘int send_ipv6_ip(const unsigned char*, size_t)’:
netutil.cc:3561: error: ‘IPV6_HOPLIMIT’ was not declared in this scope

Unfortunately, I broke both my working svn compiled copies, by mistake when trying to re-compile.
So any pointers are most welcome.

//Patrik
--
Patrik Karlsson
http://www.cqure.net

I found a temporary workaround by setting the IPV6_HOPLIMIT to IPV6_2292HOPLIMIT.
I found this workaround by looking inside the /usr/include/netinet6/in6.h file.
It contains this section:

#ifdef __APPLE_USE_RFC_2292
#define IPV6_PKTINFO        IPV6_2292PKTINFO
#define IPV6_HOPLIMIT       IPV6_2292HOPLIMIT
#define IPV6_NEXTHOP        IPV6_2292NEXTHOP
#define IPV6_HOPOPTS        IPV6_2292HOPOPTS
#define IPV6_DSTOPTS        IPV6_2292DSTOPTS
#define IPV6_RTHDR          IPV6_2292RTHDR
#define IPV6_PKTOPTIONS     IPV6_2292PKTOPTIONS
#endif /* __APPLE_USE_RFC_2292 */

I'm aware that this isn't the right fix, but I needed to get Nmap compiled so I can continue working on some stuff.

//Patrik
--
Patrik Karlsson
http://www.cqure.net
http://www.twitter.com/nevdull77

Nmap still doesn't compile on OS X Lion.
Would adding #define __APPLE_USE_RFC_2292 in netutil.cc be considered an OK patch or do we need something more
sophisticated, like a check in configure?

Cheers,
Patrik