Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Bug in output reporting of open ports

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 10:24:23 -0700

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 09:17:45AM -0500, Daniel Miller wrote:
On 07/19/2011 03:01 AM, Roberto Bonalumi wrote:
Hello,
here attached sample files from the same nmap run:

- prova_zen.nmap is the normal output file; there is no evidence of an open
port
- prova_zen.xml is the xml file; there is no evidence of an open port
- prova_zen.txt is the zenmap interactive output, where open ports are
reported in the first lines

These results confirm what I said in my first response
(http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2011/q3/276). Your scan options are
too broad (UDP, all ports) for the fast timing template you used
(T5), and the hosts are timing out. When this happens, Nmap discards
the host results. To scan what you want, here's what I would do
(note that this scan will take a lot longer than your current one!)

 nmap -n -Pn -sS -sU -p- -T5 --host-timeout 12h -v4 -oA output
192.168.xxx.0/24

Even 12h could be too short for common one-per-second ICMP rate
limiting; that leads to a scan of over 18 hours.

David Fifield