Nmap Development mailing list archives

Bug in output reporting of open ports

From: Roberto Bonalumi <roberto.bonalumi () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:46:18 +0200

Hello,
after some testing and documentation reading, I am quite confident that I
found a bug in output creation. Here follows the bug description:

Nmap version 5.51 with Zenmap installed
OS Windows XP Professional SP3

I started nmap with the following command:

*nmap -sS -sU -p 1-65535 -T5 -v -v -v -v -n -oN output.nmap -oX output.xml
-Pn 192.168.xxx.0/24*

where 192.168.xxx.0/24 is a different subnet from the local one.

Interactive output correctly shows there are some open ports on some hosts.
Normal output and XML output does *NOT *report any open port - and this is
the bug.

This bug implies that If you need to use nmap to check whether two different
subnets are correctly isolated or not, you cannot rely on normal or XML
output, but you need to capture the interactive output.

Please note that i found the same bug on the same system without using
Zenmap, and also using nmap version 4.62 on a Linux box.

Regards

--
Ing. Roberto Bonalumi
CISSP, MCSE